MWhy Choose Cedar Wood to Build a Fence?
Cedar Wood Fences: Many people might wonder why people so often use cedar to build a wood fence. In this blog article I will outline some of the main reasons why Cedar is a great choice when building a wood fence.
Cedar is Resilient
Cedar, a type of wood known for its natural beauty and durability, has emerged as one of the top choices for exterior construction. It has been prized for centuries for its unique characteristics that make it well-suited for a wide range of outdoor applications, from siding and decking to fencing and shingles. The following are some reasons why cedar wood is considered a premier choice for exterior construction.
1. Natural Resistance to Decay and Insects: One of the most significant advantages of cedar wood is its inherent resistance to decay and insect damage. Cedar wood contains natural oils and resins that act as a deterrent to decay-causing fungi and insects, making it highly durable and long-lasting even when exposed to the elements. This natural resistance helps to prevent rot, decay, and insect infestation, which are common issues in exterior construction materials. As a result, cedar wood requires minimal maintenance and can withstand harsh weather conditions, making it an ideal choice for exterior applications.
Cedar is Stable
2. Dimensional Stability: Cedar wood has excellent dimensional stability, meaning it is less likely to warp, twist, or split when exposed to changes in temperature and humidity. This makes cedar wood an ideal choice for exterior construction, where wood is often exposed to varying weather conditions. The stability of cedar wood helps it maintain its shape, size, and structural integrity over time, ensuring a long-lasting and reliable construction material.
Cedar Wood Looks Great
3. Aesthetic Appeal: Cedar wood is known for its natural beauty and distinctive appearance. It has a warm, rich color palette that ranges from light golden hues to deeper reddish-browns, and its fine, straight grain patterns add an elegant and timeless look to any exterior application. Cedar wood can be left unfinished to naturally weather to a silvery gray patina, which is highly desirable in many architectural styles. Alternatively, it can be stained or painted to achieve a specific color or finish, offering endless design possibilities for exterior construction projects.
4. Lightweight and Easy to Work With: Cedar wood is relatively lightweight compared to other wood species commonly used in exterior construction, such as oak or pine. This makes it easier to handle and work with during installation, reducing labor and transportation costs. Cedar wood is also known for its excellent workability, as it cuts, sands, and fastens easily, allowing for precise installations and custom detailing.
5. Renewable and Sustainable: Cedar wood is a renewable resource, as it is harvested from sustainably managed forests. Many cedar wood suppliers follow responsible forestry practices that ensure the long-term health and sustainability of cedar wood resources. Additionally, cedar wood is biodegradable and has a low environmental impact, as it requires minimal processing and does not release harmful chemicals or emissions during its production or use. This makes cedar wood a sustainable choice for exterior construction, aligning with eco-friendly building practices.
Cedar Wood Fence A Great Choice
In conclusion, cedar wood’s natural resistance to decay and insects, dimensional stability, aesthetic appeal, ease of workability, and sustainability make it a top choice for exterior construction. Its durability and beauty make it an excellent option for siding, decking, fencing, shingles, and other outdoor applications. Whether you are building a new home or renovating an existing one, cedar wood can provide a premium, long-lasting, and environmentally friendly solution for your exterior construction needs.
“The Beauty and Durability of Western Red Cedar Fence Boards: A Timeless Choice for Your Outdoor Space”
A well-designed fence not only enhances the curb appeal of your home, but also provides privacy, security, and defines your property boundaries. When it comes to choosing the right material for your fence, western red cedar stands out as a popular and timeless choice. Renowned for its natural beauty, durability, and versatility, western red cedar fence boards offer a range of benefits that make them an excellent option for any outdoor space.
What is Western Red Cedar?
Western red cedar (Thuja plicata) is a species of evergreen coniferous tree native to the Pacific Northwest region of North America. It is highly valued for its distinct reddish-brown color, straight grain, and natural resistance to decay and insects. Western red cedar is often used in various outdoor applications, including fencing, decking, siding, and other exterior structures.
The Beauty of Western Red Cedar Fence Boards
One of the primary reasons homeowners choose western red cedar wood fence boards is their unmatched natural beauty. The warm reddish-brown color with rich grain patterns adds warmth and character to any outdoor space. Over time, western red cedar weathers to a beautiful silver-gray patina, giving it a rustic and timeless appearance that complements any architectural style, from traditional to modern. The natural beauty of western red cedar fence boards can also be enhanced with stain or sealant to preserve its color and protect it from the elements, while still allowing the natural grain to shine through.
Durability and Longevity
Western red cedar wood fences are known for its durability and resistance to decay and insects, making it an excellent choice for outdoor applications like fencing. The natural oils and resins present in western red cedar provide a natural defense against rot, decay, and insect infestation, without the need for chemical treatments. This makes western red cedar fence boards highly durable and long-lasting, with an average lifespan of 15-20 years, and even longer with proper maintenance.
Western Red Cedar Wood Fences = Versatility and Ease of Installation
Western red cedar fence boards are known for their versatility, as they can be easily customized to suit various styles and designs. They can be left unfinished for a natural and rustic look, stained or painted to match your preferred color scheme, or even combined with other materials to create a unique and personalized fence design. Western red cedar fence boards are also available in a wide range of sizes and grades, allowing you to choose the right option for your specific fencing needs.
In addition, western red cedar wood fence boards are relatively lightweight and easy to work with, making installation a breeze for both DIY enthusiasts and professional contractors. They can be easily cut, shaped, and installed using standard woodworking tools, which helps to streamline the installation process and save time and effort.
Eco-Friendly and Sustainable Choice
Choosing western red cedar fence boards also makes an eco-friendly and sustainable choice for your outdoor space. Western red cedar is a renewable and sustainably harvested resource, as it is typically harvested from responsibly managed forests where new trees are planted to replace the harvested ones. Additionally, the production of western red cedar fence boards requires minimal energy and water, making it a more environmentally friendly option compared to other fencing materials.
Wester Red Cedar Wood Fences are Low Maintenance
Another advantage of western red cedar fence boards is their low maintenance requirements. Unlike other materials like metal or vinyl that may require regular cleaning or repainting, western red cedar naturally weathers to a silver-gray patina over time, without losing its structural integrity. This means you can enjoy a beautiful and functional fence without the need for constant upkeep. However, if you wish to preserve the natural color of western red cedar, you can apply a sealant or stain periodically to protect it from the elements and maintain its original appearance.
When it comes to building a fence that faces the elements in the Northwest. Specifically all the rain, wind, and sporadic weather here in Portland, Oregon. Western Red cedar wood fences are a great choice when trying to decide what type of lumber you want to use to construct a fence. Its natural beauty can provide an excellent end result. If you would like to a hire a professional fence contractor in Portland, Oregon to build a fence for you, then look no further than Good Neighbor Fence Company. To learn more about our fence installation process and services for the Link Below.
Fence Installer Portland
Fence Installation Process
Fencing Repair In Portland
A Good Neighbor Fence